Monday, August 25, 2008

Trip to Anchorage

Well, we just got home from being further up north, in Anchorage, for the last week. We went up to purchase some items for our home that are not available here on the island, Ken had to take his boards for his CT certificate, Quincy had a doctors appointment with the Pediatric Orthopedic Doctor, and Ken and I had meetings all weekend for our callings in our ward.

We will start with getting to Anchorage. That was an adventure all by itself! We flew in a babysitter to stay with the older 3 kids for the week and then Ken, Quincy, and I rode the ferry from Kodiak to Homer and then we had a 4 1/2 hour drive up to Anchorage. We got a phone call from a good friend of ours on the night before we left that said that we were supposed to be having 50 mile an hour winds with 20 foot seas while we were on the ferry! He told us what medication to get for sea sickness and how to take it to get maximum results. Thank you Tom!!! Well, we had a wild ride! The boat was a rockin' all night long. The ride took 14 hours, we left at 6 pm and got into Homer at 8 am. We had dishes falling off the tables in the dining hall, and the curtains in the theater room were parallel to the floor as they swayed out with the rolls and swells. It was CRAZY!!! I wasn't sick on the boat thanks to the medication, but walking around was very difficult. The worst part of it for me was the next day after we had gotten off the boat, I could not get my land legs back. The world just kept moving and rolling for another 24 hours! (The ride home was much better!)

Ken took his boards to be CT certified while we were there. Whew! I'm so glad it wasn't me! That was intense. He has been studying like an insane man this past while getting ready for it. His preliminary results said he has passed, so we are keeping our fingers and toes crossed. Yeah, Daddy!

Then Quincy had her doctors appointment and we are happy to report that all is going good! He said that most of the odd things that are going on now with her, she will outgrow as she gets older. Because we had gotten her into her therapy so quickly and so early in her life, she doesn't have the stiffness of the tendons and muscles that most babies like her have. She just has a funny walk and run and struggles still with stairs, but he says that is something that as she gets older and able to adapt better, she will do better and not fall as much as well. Yeah Quincy!! You show em' girl!!

Then we had to get lots of odds and ends for our new home and life here on the island. I finally got me a dishwasher!! Whoo Hoo!! Nine months of no dishwasher makes me really grateful to have one again.

We also had an awesome meeting with the General Presidents of both the Young Men, President Dalhquist and the Primary, Sister Lant from Salt Lake. We were both really lucky to get to go and talk with these wonderful people. Ken because he is the Young Men's President and Me because I am Cub Scout Master. What a wonderful meeting and motivation to get the organizations going in the right directions for the boys. Ken and I are just starting the Scouting Program in the ward from nothing and trying to get it going and they had some great ideas for us to get the boys out and parents involved and excited about the programs. What amazing people they are! What a blessing to meet them and talk with them!!!

We are excited to be home and that all went well with us and the kids at home. The kids wanted us to adopt the babysitter as their big sister and not let her fly back home this morning! A good sign they had fun. I got home at 8 am this morning and started my new job this morning at 9:30. Run, run, run! I just started teaching at the Preschool just around the block from my house for those of you who don't know. I am teaching the 3 year old classroom and Quincy is one of my students. It is only M-F for 3 hours in the morning and I run the exact same schedule as the older kids in school: so when they are off school, so am I. I am excited to be teaching again and still spend time with Quincy while she is little.

So there is our week in a nutshell! Hope you are all doing well! Love ya and miss ya all!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow that teaching thing is perfect!!! That is way cool!!! And for the ferry ride...ya I think I would have BARFED!!!!!! FO SHO!!! I am so glad to hear QUINCY is doing well....that is grreat news!!! Glad to hear you found a sitter....and one they like!!!!! Sounds like one very busy week! Congrats ken!!!

Tom DeNiro said...

Ken I hope you passed(you did)
I am glad to hear Quincy is doing good and she is a princess and you to Myah.
Have fun teaching Nancy.
Miss you all and love all of you.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Ken Sledding

Ken Sledding
Howdy from Kodiak! We love ya!!!