Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sandwich bread

Well, I have had many requests for the recipe for sandwich bread that I have been using. I love it and it is really easy to make, but I have to preface this with it is all about the weighing. I have a scale that I use to weigh out the ingredients in grams and so I don't know the measurements as far as cups, tsp, etc. But I know you could google them and figure out what the measurements would be-but I think weighing is the way to go because your amounts are ALWAYS the same!! Hence, your recipe always turns out the same! I just use one of those digital postal scales with my Kitchen aid bowl. And the pans I use are called Pullman pans. It is what gives the bread its shape so they look like store bought bread. I love them!!! I got them on Amazon for only $15 a piece. I have two, because then I only have to make bread every other day. I did not get the cover, because I didn't want flat topped loaves. So here goes. :) Enjoy!!

Sandwich Bread
500 g. flour (you can substitute up to 50% of the white flour with whole wheat flour)
12 g. salt
18 g. sugar
25 g. dry milk
6 g. instant yeast (or 9 g. active dry yeast, or 18 g. fresh yeast)
18 g. shortening
300 g. water (about 90 to 100 degrees)

Combine all the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl. Add the shortening and water last.
Mix on lowest speed for 5 minutes.
Increase speed to next speed up and mix for an additional 10 minutes.

Fermentation
Form dough into a tight ball, and place in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a slightly warmed oven (about 75 to 85 degrees) for 30 minutes. The dough should be close to double in size.

Proofing
Dump dough out onto a greased or floured suface. Press out into a rectangle and begin to form the dough into a loaf by pulling dough from the edges and pressing into the center of the rectangle until you get a tube shaped loaf. Place formed loaf into a loaf pan and spray cooking spray over the top of the loaf. Cover with plastic. Place in a slightly warmed oven for 1 hour.
Remove the dough from the oven and begin preheating (with a pizza stone in the oven) to 400 degrees.
Let the oven get to temperature for at least 15 minutes before baking. Remove plastic and place pan in heated oven on top of pizza stone. Bake for a total of 20 minutes. Turn half way through the baking time to give an even baking.
Turn bread out onto a cooling rack immediately after removing from the oven.
For best result, resist the temptation and let cool for 1 hour before slicing!
Enjoy!! YUM!!

Please feel free to call me with any questions or post a comment with it. This is just too amazing to not share and have you all suceed at it!
WARNING-Store bought bread will be sooooo yucky after this that your family won't want to eat it anymore and you will have just cursed yourself to a lifetime of bread making. Muwahaha- welcome to my world!! ;)

Love ya all-let me know how it goes!

1 comment:

provobaileys said...

Thanks for the bread recipe. Here is the salsa recipe. It is actually my friends who is from Mexico City.
tomatoes (about 5 medium. If you are using store bought tomatoes, which are awful, add 1 can (12 oz.)of diced tomatoes to it)
1 onion
1 bunch of cilantro (the leaves only. This takes a lot of time, but you can just cut the bottom stems and call it good!)
2-3 serranos or jalapeƱos (less or more depending on how hot you like it)
garlic salt to taste
about 2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper
the juice of 1 medium lime
about 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar

I hope you enjoy. When I make is I leave out the jalapeƱos and add 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes cause I am a wimp, love salsa but not hot salsa.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Ken Sledding

Ken Sledding
Howdy from Kodiak! We love ya!!!